This model of the SS Frisia provides a detailed view of an immigrant ship from the same period.
The steamship Neckar was commissioned by Norddeutscher (North German) Lloyd and built on the River Clyde in Greenock, Scotland by Caird & Co. Neckar was built according to English Lloyd’s rule of the time at a cost $500,000. It was built with a 351 foot long iron hull, 40 feet at its breadth and 33.5 deep. Its 3500 tons were driven by an iron screw connected to twelve boilers which contained two coal burning furnaces each. The design included flush iron decks that spanned seven water-tight bulkheads. The ship’s draft when loaded was 17 feet and 21 feet when unloaded. It was rigged with a single exhaust funnel and two masts that allowed for 14,000 square feet of sail power that supplemented the propulsion provided by a single four blade propeller. The standard speed was 13 knots.
Neckar’s design accommodated a crew of 100, 144 1st class passengers, 68 2nd class passengers, and 502 passengers in steerage. Neckar was launched in October 1873. She made her maiden voyage in April 1874 sailing from Bremen, Germany to New York in 11-1/2 days, despite headwinds and rough seas.
Neckar (One) was retired and scrapped in Genoa in 1896. Neckar (Two), a much larger ship, entered service in 1901.